The European Endowment for Democracy is looking for a committed and experienced Administration and Team Coordinator.
The European Endowment for Democracy (EED) is an independent, grant-making organisation, established in 2013 by the European Union (EU) and EU member states to foster democracy in the countries of the European Neighbourhood and beyond. Since its inception, EED has provided over 1000 grants and evolved into a vibrant, innovative and respected member of the democracy support community. EED funds a vast array of pro-democracy actors including human rights and political activists, pro-democratic movements, civil society organisations, independent journalists and media.
1. Main functions:
• Provide administrative, secretarial and office management support to EED’s overall operations.
• Provide specific support for EED’s Executive Director.
2. Duties and Responsibilities:
The Administration and Team Coordinator reports directly to EED’s Executive Director. The main tasks include:
• Preparing documents such as reports, notes, letters, presentations and minutes of meetings, coordination and management of document flows
• Processing monthly invoices of country consultants, IT and other subscriptions and any other invoices incurred in EED work
• Executing payments in Isabel
• Making travel arrangements for members of the Executive Committee, EED staff members, contracted experts and meeting attendees; arranging for cost-effective travel connections, making multiple bookings, hotel reservations, local transportation and insurance, where applicable; Preparing and monitoring visa requests of EED invitees
• Preparing and managing contracts and coordinating the work of translators and consultants contracted by EED
• Supporting the team in audit preparations and budget planning
• Liaising with the office’s landlord and other service providers
• Managing cleaning services
• Purchasing equipment and office supply
• Liaising with Civil Responsibility Insurance (e.g. for guests’ safety on premises) and Mandatory Safety Work Insurance
• Back-up for the organisation of EED events, workshops and meetings
• Back-up for EED recruitment processes
• Back-up for administrative HR tasks
• Back-up for managing Executive Director agenda
• Acting as a point of contact for enquiries to the EED Team including Executive Director; responding to queries and requests for information and documentation whilst exercising tact, discretion and confidentiality
• Responding and contributing to strategic and institutional needs of EED as per Executive Director requests
• Performing other tasks for the Executive Director and/or the Director of Operations as required.
• At least five years-experience in a similar administrative role
• Ability to work independently
• Ability to work under pressure in a busy ever-changing environment
• Ability to take on new tasks, be creative and innovative in approach to work.
4. Key eligibility and selection criteria
a. Conditions for eligibility:
• Preferably be a national or having permanent residence permit of one of the EU/EEA countries or Switzerland;
• Be entitled to his/her full rights as a citizen;
• Have completed any obligations imposed on him/her by the laws concerning military service;
• Produces the appropriate character references as to his/her suitability for the performance of his/her duties;
• Be physically fit to perform his/her duties;
• Hold, or be in a position to obtain, a valid Personnel Security Clearance Certificate (national or EU PSC at CONFIDENTIAL and/or EU SECRET level).
b. Essential selection criteria
Level and type of formal education:
• Bachelor’s degree in Administration, Business, International Relations, Social Science or related discipline;
• At least five (5) years of proven relevant full-time professional experience in managing secretariat, coordinating administrative or related tasks
• Fluent in English (working language of EED)
• Ideally administrative French (administrative language of EED), a good knowledge of one of EU Neighbourhood languages is an asset;
• Experience in working in EU institutions or an international environment/organisation
• Experience in working in NGO (preferably Belgian one) or similar organisation
• Able to provide at least three (3) references as to the suitability for the performance of duties.
Trustworthy and discreet;
Ability to maintain confidentiality;
Ability to work in a multicultural environment;
Ability to work on your own;
Strong interpersonal skills;
Flexibility; ability to work “after hours” if need be
Please make sure you meet all required qualifications and experience before applying. Applicants must upload a cover letter, a CV (Europass format required), and contact information for three (3) references via the EED website. Failure to submit these three documents shall result in the exclusion of the applicant concerned from the selection procedure.
Applications should be made online using “apply” panel on this page. After successfully submitting your application you will receive an automatic email confirming receipt of your application. Please no phone calls/emails/letters.
Applications should be submitted no later than 15 June 2020, 12 midnight (Brussels time).
The applications will not be returned to candidates but will be kept on file by the EED. The information provided in the applications is subject to EU legislation on protection of personal data and confidentiality of information.
6. Terms of contract
EED is not an international organisation or EU institution and its employment contracts are fully based on Belgian Employment Law. Indicative GROSS salary may range from approximately €3,876 to €4,080 per month depending on experience, plus competitive personal benefits (please note that this is subject to Belgian tax and social security). An initial contract of two years will be offered. This contract will be followed by an indefinite contract, subject to satisfactory performance and available funds.
Expected start day at EED not later than 1 September 2020
Working place: EED Secretariat located in the centre of Brussels, Belgium.