Grants Administrative Coordinator (East)
Main functions of the post:
- Supporting the implementation of EED grants in the Eastern Neighbourhood and beyond, in close coordination with relevant EED staff, focusing on monitoring the financial management of the projects and compliance with contract stipulations;
- Providing guidance and assistance to EED grantees regarding the technical and financial management of the grants (mainly in English and Russian);
- Preparing financial reports and other documentation for submission to EED donors.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The selected candidate will work under the guidance of the relevant Grants Officer and reports to the Director of Operations, and shall be responsible for (in addition to the above-mentioned):
- Directly reviewing financial reports from EED grantees in the Eastern Neighbourhood and beyond (and all related supporting documents/invoices submitted by grantees in local languages) in order to verify eligibility of expenses;
- Assisting in the assessment of budgets of initial proposals for EED grants;
- Drafting contracts and all related contractual documentation;
- Ensuring compliance of grant implementation with EED contractual requirements;
- Supporting liaison with the grantees to provide assistance and advice regarding the financial management of the grant, including support in preparing requests for addenda regarding changes in activity plans, budget revisions and project extensions;
- Coordinating with EED colleagues and sending consolidated feedback on financial and narrative reports to grantees;
- Collecting, verifying and aggregating data related to substantive, technical and financial implementation related to the different grants;
- Drafting comprehensive financial reports for EED’s donors and ensuring timely submission of such reports (with all required supporting documents), in compliance with contract stipulations;
- Keeping track of expenditure by financial year; and liaising with relevant colleagues to keep track of funds received from and/or to be reimbursed to donors in each financial year;
- Carrying out on-site monitoring missions, as required;
- Providing English/Russian translation of short texts and/or commissioning/coordinating translation of more extensive documentation, as requested by the donor;
- Supporting internal knowledge management and learning
- Advising grantees on donor regulations;
- Coordinating with EED external consultant(s);
- Performing other related tasks as required.
Key eligibility and selection criteria
A. Conditions for eligibility:
- preferably be a national or having permanent residence permit of one of the EU/EEA countries or Switzerland;
- be entitled to his/her full rights as a citizen;
- have completed any obligations imposed on him/her by the laws concerning military service;
- be physically fit to perform his/her duties.
B. Essential selection criteria
Level and type of formal education:
- degree in Economics, International Affairs, Political or Social Science, Law, International Development or related discipline
- at least two years of proven full-time professional experience in civil society-related projects and programmes;
- demonstrated track record in grant-making and/or project management;
- experience in working with democracy-support donors in government and/or international organisations and/or from civil society;
- experience of working with civil society in the EU Eastern Neighbourhood; experience of working on Russia considered an asset.
- full professional working knowledge of English (including ability to draft quality reports for donors);
- thorough working knowledge of Russian (ability to liaise with grantees orally and in writing and to verify documentation);
- good knowledge of grant-making and project management;
- ability to verify narrative and financial reports (including verification of all supporting documents);
- ability to liaise with donors;
- substantive understanding of political issues and trends in the Eastern Neighbourhood as well as EU policies towards the region;
- solid ICT skills, especially in Microsoft Excel;
- high drive for detail and precision;
- ability to keep full confidentiality about all assigned tasks and related documentation as well as capacity to exercise confidentiality, discretion and tact when dealing with diverse groups of people;
- high degree of communication skills and excellent interpersonal skills;
- ability to develop strong working relationships internally and externally at all levels;
- high personal and professional culture;
- ability to work in a multicultural environment;
- readiness for duty travel.
Please make sure you meet all required qualifications and experience before applying. Applicants must upload a cover letter, a CV (in the Europass format), and contact information for three references via the EED website.
Failure to submit these three documents shall result in the exclusion of the applicant concerned from the selection procedure.
Applications should be made online using “apply” panel on this page. After successfully submitting your application you will receive an automatic email confirming receipt of your application.
Applications should be submitted no later than 3 January 2019, midnight (Brussels time). Interviews will be planned in Brussels for short-listed candidates. A written test may be organised.
The applications will not be returned to candidates but will be kept on file by the EED. The information provided in the applications is subject to EU legislation on protection of personal data and confidentiality of information.
Terms of contract
EED is not an international organisation or EU institution and its employment contracts are fully based on Belgian Employment Law.
Indicative NET salary is around €2,200 per month with standard benefits foreseen under Belgian labour law (meal vouchers, 13th month salary etc.). An initial fixed-term contract of one year will be offered, renewable for a second year subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funds.
The contract will be a fixed term contract, and no renewal is foreseen beyond the end of the second year.
Expected start day at EED: February / March 2019 Working place: EED Secretariat located in the centre of Brussels, Belgium.